BSNL Broadband (DataOne) Installation
After much thought I decided to choose BSNL instead of Airtel for broadband. Since I'm a heavy internet user I opted for the unlimited 256kbps plan (HOME UL 900 plus) which comes with a rent free phone.Monthly tariff is 900 Rs + 100 Rs as modem rental if you are renting the modem.
- I did not apply online but instead filled up the necessary application at the nearest BSNL office(Royapettah, Chennai)
- The total amount to be paid came to Rs. 2681
- 1000 - Security Deposit for the phone (Refundable)
- 900 - Security Deposit for the broadband connection (advance rental)
- 500 - Security Deposit for the phone
- 250 - Installation charges
- 31 - Service Tax + Surcharge
- The phone was installed the very next day but for the broadband connection I had to wait for more than a week and had to make several calls to their support centre.
- BSNL broadband connection comes with a router+modem (SmartAX MT882) which has been preconfigured at the exchange and comes with one ethernet port and one USB por
- To configure your BSNL broadband connection in Windows XP go to
All Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Network Connections
- Right click the Local Area Connection and select Properties
- Select (Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Make sure it is checked and click Properties
- Fill in
- IP address 192.168.1.2
- Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway - 192.168.1.1
- Preferred DNS Server - 192.168.1.
- Enjoy broadband :).
- The settings for the router can be changed by opening the web admin interface. To access the interface open your browser and in the URL field type http://192.168.1.1
The default username and password is admin